Establishment of graduate program in the Public Health was approved by the Korean Ministry of Education on November 2, 1999. The graduate program was officially opened on March 3, 2000, and 10 students were enrolled in the master's and doctoral degree courses. The program is comprised of the following three departments:
Environmental and Occupational Health, Epidemiology and Health Informatics, and Health Policy and Hospital Management. The aim of the graduate program in Public Health is to produce health professinals who can :
- Derive and solve various problems of public health, for advancement of the national public well-being,
- Acquire a theoretical understanding of public health,
- Exercise a global leadership in obtaining social and international cooperation,
- Develop professionality through current knowledge and technology in public health,
- Devote to solving problems of public health with a creative thought.
Fields of Study
- Environmental and Occupational Health
- Epidemiology and Medical Informatics
- Health Policy and Hospital Management
- Global Health
- Students who are enrolled in master's degree program must receive a total of 27 "course work" credits or more, including 9 credits for core subjects and 9 credits for major subjects; students enrolled in doctoral degree program must receive a total of 36 "course work" credits, including 18 credits for major subjects.
- Aside from the coursework credits, students must sign up for research guide and earn 2 credits each semester for 4 semesters. A total of 8 research guide credits is required, including participation of thesis presentation and evaluation.
- During enrollment, all students except those who are majoring in Biostatistics must take 2 essential core subjects: Biostatistics I and Introduction to Epidemiology. (Those who major in Biostatistics must take 2 essential core subjects: Introduction to Epidemiology, Biostatistical Consulting I and II.) Changing the essential core subjects is possible if he/she has completed the same or similar subjects so that credits will only be acknowledged for subjects considered to be a par with those offered under a new replaced subject. To change those subjects, students should submit the following documents for the approval of their request:
a. Request form on replacing essential core subjects
b. Approval by the academic advisor and the head of the essential core subjects
Where a student submits these documents to the graduate school committee, the head of the essential core subjects should evaluate him/her to have an equivalent knowledge and experience for the subjects and report the results to the graduate school committee. If the graduate school committee decide in favor of the studentf reasoning, then the student may change the essential core subjects with the approval of committee chairman.
- In principle, master's degree program students must submit thesis evaluation request form to the evaluation committee of master's thesis at least 1 year before expected graduation date. The master's thesis evaluation committee (including the academic advisor) should be composed of more than 3 members and the doctoral thesis evaluation committee (including the academic advisor) should be composed of more than 5 members. Committee members can evaluate submitted request forms with an equal say to the chair of the review committee. The final stage of evaluation includes an oral examination. The final decision is either approval or failure of the thesis. The thesis of failure can be revised continuously by the request of committee members.
In general, graduates from Specialized Graduate Schools or other majors have to register for a minimum of 6 credits or more for prerequisite subjects. Decision of prerequisite subjects are carried out by the advisory committee with consideration of student's ability with different majors or specialties. For the first priority, all students must take 2 core subjects such as Biostatistics I and Introduction to Epidemiology if it is not completed during their master's degree program.
Thesis and Examination
Submission and Presentation of Thesis Evaluation Request
- Submission of thesis evaluation request for either master's or doctoral degree is granted to students who have registered at least 2 semesters of the coursework. Thesis evaluation request must be submitted by the end of April in the first semester and by the end of October iudents econd semester. Each semester there will be a public notice regarding the submission procedure for the thesis evaluation request.
- Oral presentation of thesis evaluation request is held by the end of May in the first semester and by the end of November in the second semester.
- Thesis evaluation committee (including the academic advisor) should be composed of 3 professors (master degree) or 5 professors (doctoral degree).
Submission and Presentation of Draft Thesis
- A master's degree is granted to students who complete the coursework, pass the foreign language exam, the Comprehensive Examinations, the thesis evaluation, and the oral examination.
- Students enrolled in a doctoral degree program are qualified to write the thesis after acquiring credits of coursework and research guide. They also have to pass the Comprehensive Examinations as well as a foreign language exams. Doctoral degrees are awarded to students who pass the thesis evaluation and the oral examination. Their candidacy also needs to be approved by the graduate school committee.
- Draft thesis must be submitted by the end of April in the first-semester graduation and by the end of October in the second-semester graduation.
Thesis Evaluation and Decision
- The master's thesis evaluation committee (including the academic advisor) should be composed of more than 3 members and the doctoral thesis evaluation committee (including the academic advisor) should be composed of more than 5 members. The dean of the graduate school can designate the academic advisor as chair of the evaluation committee to oversee the entire evaluation process. The chair and members of the evaluation committee will have an equal say.
- The evaluation committee is required to complete the thesis evaluation and oral examination by the end of May in the first-semester graduation and by the end of November in the second-semester graduation. The thesis evaluation committee should be held more than two times of oral presentation.
- In order to pass the thesis evaluation and oral examination, a student needs two-thirds of the evaluation committee members' approval for a master's degree and four-fifth of the evaluation committee members' approval for a doctoral degree.
Courses and Syllabuses
- Core Courses open
Core Courses List Code Title Credits Remarks HLT 501 Introduction to Public Health 3 HLT 502 Biostatictics 3 HLT 503 Introduction to Epidemiology 3 Essential(master's degree program) HLT 504 Data Processing in Health Research 3 HLT 505 Methodology for Public Health Research 3 HLT 506 Seminar in Public Health 3 HLT 507 Biostatictics I 3 Essential(master's degree program) HLT 508 Biostatictics II 3 HLT 509 Practice of Biostatistics 3 HLT 510 Public Health Issues in the World 3 HLT 511 Philosophy of Public Health 3 HLT 512 Health Education and Promotion 3 HLT 513 Biostatistical Consulting I 3 HLT 514 Biostatistical Consulting II 3 HLT 516 Aging and Health 3 HLT 518 Writing for Public Health 3 HLT 519 Introduction of Public Health 3
*For students whose major is Biostatistics in master's degree program, the essential core subjects are Introduction to Epidemiology, Biostatistical Consulting I and II.
- Department of Environmental and Occupational Health open
Department of Environmental and Occupational Health List Code Title Credits Remarks HLT 551 Fundamentals of Occupational and Environmental Health 3 Essential HLT 552 Environmental and OccupationalToxicology 3 HLT 553 Molecular Toxicology 3 HLT 555 Evaluation of Workplace Environment 3 HLT 556 Occupational Health Policy and Management 3 HLT 557 Occupational Epidemiology 3 HLT 558 Seminar in Occupational Health 3 HLT 559 Human and Environment 3 HLT 560 Biomarkers 3 HLT 561 Basic Theory and Practice of Analytical Instruments 3 HLT 562 Seminar in Occupational Hygiene 3 HLT 563 Methodology in Environmental Health Science I 3 HLT 564 Biochemistry and Cell Biology 3 HLT 565 Case Studies of Occupational Diseases and Accidents 3 HLT 566 Intermediate Theory and Practice of Analytical Instruments 3 HLT 567 Molecular Biology 3 HLT 568 Seminar on Environmental Health Literature 3 HLT 569 Indoor Air Quality Control 3 HLT 570 Practice of Environmental and Occupational Exposure Assessment 3 HLT 571 Seminar on Evaluation of Environmental Health Literature 3 HLT 572 Water Quality Management 3 HLT 573 Seminar I for Environmental and Occupational Health 3 HLT 574 Seminar II for Environmental and Occupational Health 3 HLT 575 Seminar III for Environmental and Occupational Health III 3 HLT 576 Clinical Occupational Medicine 3 HLT 577 Practice of Environmental and Occupational Toxicology 3 HLT 578 Industrial Ventilation 3 HLT 579 Genetics and Public Health 3 HLT 580 Exposure Assessment and Environmental Risk Assessment 3 HLT 581 Risk Management 3 HLT 582 Principles of Industrial Hygiene 3 HLT 583 Casualith Theory and Scientific Evidence 3 HLT 584 OHSMS, Occupational Health and Safety Management System 3 HLT 585 Medical Causation 3 HLT 586 Seminar in Occupational Hygiene I 3 HLT 587 Environment and Health 3 HLT 757 Geographic Information System in public health 3 HLT 760 Climate Change and Health 3 HLT 761 Introduction of Geographc Information System 3 HLT 764 Health Effects of Climate Change 3
Courses Admitted as Majors
Courses Admitted as Majors Code Title Credits Remarks HLT 728 National Occupational Health Policy and Management 3 HLT 729 Workers's Compensation Insurance 3 HLT 730 OHSMS, Occupational Health and Safety Management System 3 HLT 731 Risk Management 3 HLT 732 Analytic Method Applied to Occupational Health and Safety 3 HLT 733 Causality Theory and Scientific Evidence 3 HLT 745 Ergonomics in Health Science 3 HLT 747 Seminars on Health, Safety and Environment Management Policy 3 HLT 748 Health and Environmental Risk Assessment 3 HLT 759 International Development Corporation and Global Healthcare 3
- Department of Epidemiology and Medical Informatics open
Department of Epidemiology and Medical Informatics List Code Title Credits Remarks HLT 627 Principles of Epidemiology 3 HLT 629 Hospital Infection Epidemiology 3 HLT 630 Research Methodology in Epidemiology 3 HLT 631 Medical Informatics 3 HLT 632 Research Methodology 3 Requirement HLT 633 Intermediate Statistics 3 HLT 634 Epidemiology of Infectious Disease 3 HLT 635 Clinical Epidemiology 3 HLT 636 Epidemiology of Chronic Disease 3 HLT 637 Seminar in Epidemiology 3 HLT 638 Environmental and Occupational Epidemiology 3 HLT 639 Seminar in Medical Informatics 3 HLT 640 Clinical Informatics 3 HLT 641 Hospital Epidemiology and Infection Control 3 HLT 642 Advanced Statistics 3 HLT 643 Topics in Epidemiology 3 HLT 644 Advanced Course in Epidemiology 3 HLT 645 Disaster Public Health 3 HLT 646 Topics in Medical Informatics 3 HLT 647 Public Health Informatics 3 HLT 648 Quantitative Epidemiology 3 HLT 649 Genetic Epidemiology of Population 3 HLT 650 Decision Making Methodology 3 HLT 651 Social Epidemiology 3 HLT 652 Intelligent Information System in Healthcare 3 HLT 653 Women Health 3 HLT 654 Elderly Health 3 HLT 655 Health and Medical Informatics 3 HLT 656 Topics in Health and Medical Informatics 3 HLT 657 Seminar in Health and Medical Informatics 3 HLT 658 Cancer Epidemiology & Prevention 3 HLT 659 Environmental Epidemiology 3 HLT 660 Quantitative Epidemiologic Method 3 HLT 661 Critical Review of Epidemiologic Studies 3 HLT 662 Cancer Epidemiology 3 HLT 663 Public Health Crisis and Management 3 HLT 664 Nutritional Epidemiology Seminar 3 HLT 665 Principles and Methods of Environmental Epidemiology 3 HLT 666 Environmental and Industrial Epidemiology 3 HLT 755 Nutritional Epidemiology 3 HLT 762 Internatilnal Travel and Health 3 HLT 766 Radiation Epidemiology 3
- Department of Health Policy and Hospital Management open
Department of Health Policy and Hospital Management List Code Title Credits Remarks HLT 701 Health Policy and Management 3 HLT 702 Health Promotion and Health Education 3 HLT 703 Health Economics 3 HLT 704 Social Security for Medical Care 3 HLT 705 Methodology for Health Service Research 3 HLT 706 Hospital Management 3 HLT 707 Sociology in Health 3 HLT 708 Seminar in Health Policy 3 HLT 709 Evaualtion of Health Care Services 3 HLT 710 Quality Assurance in Health Care Organization 3 HLT 711 Management of Health Care Organization 3 HLT 712 Management of Hospitals and Healthcare Organizations 3 HLT 713 Primary Care and Health Care Delivery System 3 HLT 714 Technology Assessment in Health Care 3 HLT 715 Evidence-Based Health Care 3 HLT 716 Health Policy in Korea 3 HLT 717 Health Insurance 3 HLT 718 History of Health 3 HLT 719 Health Policy Analysis 3 HLT 720 Comparative Study of Health Care System 3 HLT 721 Health Economics Research Methods 3 HLT 722 Ethics of Health Care Policy and Management 3 HLT 723 Seminars in Health Policy and Management 3 HLT 724 Seminar in Hospital Management 3 HLT 725 Seminar in Health Care Technology Assessment 3 HLT 726 Seminar in Assessment of Health Service Research Papers 3 HLT 727 eminar in Health Service Research Paper 3 HLT 728 National Occupational Health Policy and Management 3 HLT 729 Workers's Compensation Insurance 3 HLT 730 OHSMS, Occupational Health and Safety Management System 3 HLT 731 Risk Management 3 HLT 732 Analytic Method Applied to Occupational Health and Safety 3 HLT 733 Causality Theory and Scientific Evidence 3 HLT 734 Seminar in Assessment of Research Papers 3 HLT 735 Research of Cases in Hospitals and Healthcare Services Management 3 HLT 736 Seminar in Health Policy II 3 HLT 737 Seminar in Healthcare Organizations Management 3 HLT 738 Seminar in Hospital Management II 3 HLT 739 Hospital Accounting 3 HLT 740 Seminar in Health Care Technology Assessment II 3 HLT 741 Methodology in Healthcare Facility Planning 3 HLT 742 Seminar in Assessment of Health Service Research Papers II 3 HLT 744 Seminar in Assessment of Health Service Research Papers II 3 HLT 745 Ergonomics in Health Science 3 HLT 746 Theory on Marketing of Healthcare Services 3 HLT 747 Seminars on Health, Safety and Environment Management Policy 3 HLT 748 Health and Environmental Risk Assessment 3 HLT 749 Seminar in Health Policy and Management 3 HLT 750 Health Promotion Planning 3 HLT 751 Quality assurance in health care organization Ⅰ 3 HLT 752 Quality assurance in Health Care Organization II 3 HLT 753 Community health program 3 HLT 754 Health promotion 3 HLT 756 Healthcare System in Korea 3 HLT 758 Study of Global Healthcare System 3 HLT 763 Studies in Systemic Review 3 HLT 861 National Health Insurance Policy 3
- Global Health open
Global Health List Code Title Credits Remarks HLT Seminar in Global Health 3 HLT Planning and Evaluation in Global Health 3 HLT Infectious diseases of Global Health 3 HLT 902 Global health and Community health 2 3 HLT 904 Field Practice of Global Health 2 3