Ideals of Education
Ophthalmology is a branch of medical science dealing with the anatomy, functions, and diseases of the eyes and a clinical field performing the surgical and medical procedures of the diseases. By providing aa systematic and step-by-step training to students, residents and fellows, we are teaching the essential medical knowledge and the basic elements of character which medical workers should have. Besides, we are training competent personnel by carrying out studies and performing the advanced medical care and the operating technique of detail majors.
We have 11 faculty members, 9 clinical teachers, 20 medical residents. We have faithfully performed teaching, research and medical treatment and we have established as a renowned ophthalmology. In these regards we can stand comparison with domestic and foreign hospitals. We provide a professional treatment subdivided into the areas of the cornea, anterior segment, glaucoma, strabismus, pediatric ophthalmology, retina, oculoplastics. Head professors who served until now as follows: the first Prof. Hee Jun Kim(1941~1962), Prof. Jeong Whan Kim(1962~1976), Prof. Moo Sik Son(1976~1982), Prof. Hae Ryun Jeong(1983~1993), Prof. Tae Soo Lee(1993~1998), Prof. Yoon Ae Cho(1998~2004), Prof. Kuhl Huh(2004~2010), Prof. Hyo Myung Kim(2010~2014) and Prof. Sehyun Baek(2014~). The following professors are currently giving specific medical treatment at Anam Hospital; Prof. Hyo Myung Kim(cornea, anterior segment), Prof. Seung Hyun Kim(strabismus, pediatric), Prof. Jaeryung Oh(retina) and Ass. Prof. Chungkwon Yoo(glaucoma). At Guro Hospital; Prof. Kuhl Huh(retina), Prof. Yong Yeon Kim(glaucoma), Prof. Sehyun Baek(oculoplastic) and Prof. Jong Suk Song(cornea, anterior segment). At Ansan Hospital, Ass. Prof. Seong Woo Kim(retina), Assit. Prof. Young Woo Suh(strabismus, pediatric) and Assit. Prof. Hwa Lee(oculoplastic). We leap ahead in the medical field through these professional studies, medical cares and educational activities.
In order to jump up to the Korea's top opthalmology and to be recognized around the world, we will further strive to improve the quality of life and to promote eye health by constant research and training.
- April 1941 Opened the department of opthalmology (former, Hye Hwa Hospital)
- March 1941 Appointed prof. Hee Jun Kim as the head prof.
- March 1962 Appointed prof. Jeong Whan Kim as the head prof.
- March 1976 Appointed prof. Moo Sik Son as the head prof.
- March 1983 Appointed prof. Hae Ryun Jeong as the head prof.
- August 1983 Opened opthalmology at Guro Hospital
- August 1983 Appointed prof. Tae Soo Lee as the first head of department at Guro Hospital
- December 1984 Opened opthalmology at Ansan Hospital
- March 1985 Placed prof. Yoon Ae Cho in Anam Hospital
- March 1987 Placed assit. prof. Yong Han Jin in Ansan Hospital
- March 1988 Placed assit. prof. Kuhl Huh in Ansan Hospital
- September 1990 Newly built Anam Hospital (former, Hye Hwa Hospital)
- March 1991 Placed assit. Hyo Myung Kim in Anam Hospital
- September 1992 Appointed prof. Tae Soo Lee as the head prof.
- March 1993 Placed assit. Yong Yeon Kim in Guro Hospital
- 29 June 1996 Held the 1st Symposium, the Depart. of Opthalmology, Korea Univ. - Hold yearly symposium changing the main department from oculoplastic
- September 1998 Appointed prof. Yoon Ae Cho as the head prof.
- March 2004 Appointed prof. Kuhl Huh as the head prof.
- August 2006 Retired prof. Hae Ryun Cheong
- March 2007 Relocated opthalmology of Guro Hospital to a new building
- November 2007 Relocated outpatients clinic, Anam Hospital
- March 2010 Appointed prof. Hyo Myung Kim as the head prof.
- February 2011 Retired prof. Tae Soo Lee
- August 2013 Retired prof. Yoon Ae Cho
- March 2014 Appointed prof. Sehyun Baek as the head prof.
Research for retina
Faculty keeps ahead in fields of medical treatment, study and training to overcome retina diseases.
Medical treatment - Retina clinic diagnoses retina related diseases such as diabetic retinopathy, age-related macular degeneration, occlusion of retinal vessels and retinal detachment precisely using high-tech diagnostic equipments. And it provides the optimal and high-tech treatments including the exact treatment and surgery according to the diagnosis results.
Study - It carries out lots of clinical studies including global multi-center clinical trial, national projects and clinical projects. In addition, it particularly performs study on a field of ophthalmic image such as new imaging equipments and its development and human impact assessment. It is committed to developing new therapies as developing cell culture skill like retinal epithelial cells, retinal endothelial cells and stem cells.
Training - It has a systematic curriculum for students majoring in the retina. And it helps students learn the high-tech skills and have ability to create new knowledge for themselves by opening a more professional program such as regular seminars for retina, retinal case discussions and lectures inviting external experts of fundamental field. Also it offers lifelong education through continuing education association such as retinal case discussions for those who have completed a degree.
- 1. Oh J, Kim SW, Kwon SS, Oh IK, Huh K. Correlation of fundus autofluorescence gray values with vision and microperimetry in resolved central serous chorioretinopathy. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2012;53:179-84.
- 2. Oh IK, Oh J, Yang KS, Lee KH, Kim SW, Huh K. Retinal topography of myopic eyes: a spectral-domain optical coherence tomography study. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2014;55:4313-9.
- 3. Ahn SE, Oh J, Oh JH, Oh IK, Kim SW, Huh K. Three-dimensional configuration of subretinal fluid in central serous chorioretinopathy. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2013;54:5944-52
- 4. Oh JH, Oh J, Togloom A, Kim SW, Huh K. Effects of ginkgo biloba extract on cultured human retinal pigment epithelial cells under chemical hypoxia. Curr Eye Res. 2013;38:1072-82.
- 5. Kim SK, Kim SW, Oh J, Huh K. Near-infrared and short-wavelength autofluorescence in resolved central serous chorioretinopathy: association with outer retinal layer abnormalities. Am J Ophthalmol. 2013;156:157-164
Research for ocular surface and cataract refractive surgeons
Faculty of ocular surface field carries out studies on dry eye syndrome and meibomian glands dysfunction which have the most attention and perform researches actively in this field. It has participated in lots of clinical trials for new drug development of dry eye syndrome as a senior researcher and a collaborator. It led the development of guideline for diagnosis and treatment of dry eye syndrome, and published "Korean guideline for dry eye syndrome" with several native and foreign professors of this field. For foreign activities, it has participated in Asia Dry Eye Society as a founding member, Prof. Hyo-myung Kim has led the society as the representative Korea. Prof. Jong-seok Song has performed a study related on environmental eye diseases, especially, a study related on fine dust.
In the field of cataract refractive surgeons, it has published several papers on efficacy and safety of various intraocular lens and improved methods of formula in a journal of the top 5% of the ophthalmology field. It is the Korea's first which invited to participate in international expert meetings related intraocular lens formula.
- 1. Eom Y, Kang SY, Song JS, Kim YY, Kim HM. Comparison of Hoffer Q and Haigis formulae for intraocular lens power calculation according to the anterior chamber depth in short eyes. Am J Ophthalmol. 2014 Apr;157(4):818-824
- 2. Eom Y, Kang SY, Song JS, Kim HM. Comparison of the actual amount of axial movement of 3 aspheric intraocular lenses using anterior segment optical coherence tomography. J Cataract Refract Surg. 2013 Oct;39(10):1528-33
- 3. Eom Y, Nam KT, Kang SY, Kim HM, Song JS. Axis difference between corneal and internal astigmatism to consider for toric intraocular lenses. Am J Ophthalmol. 2013 Dec;156(6):1112-1119
- 4. Eom Y, Lee JS, Kang SY, Kim HM, Song JS. Correlation between quantitative measurements of tear film lipid layer thickness and meibomian gland loss in patients with obstructive meibomian gland dysfunction and normal controls.Am J Ophthalmol. 2013 Jun;155(6):1104-1110
- 5. Eom Y, Kang SY, Song JS, Kim HM. Use of corneal power-specific constants to improve the accuracy of the SRK/T formula. Ophthalmology. 2013 Mar;120(3):477-81
Research for glaucoma
The department of ophthalmology in Korea University suggested to classify systematically closed angle glaucoma for the first time, and the diagnosis standard of closed angle glaucoma based on this has been used around the world. In addition, it had reported the current status of closed angle glaucoma patients in Korea by participating in an epidemiologic study based on domestic population with the Korean Glaucoma Society. And it carries out studies on intraocular pressure which is the most important risk factor of glaucoma from various angles. Going off the existing studies focused on intraocular pressure measured on a sitting position in the clinic, intraocular pressure was measured on various position using lots of equipments and it was reported that the intraocular pressure is increased on specific positions for the first time. The studies for the relationship between intraocular pressure increase depending on positions and glaucoma have been carried out and reported. In addition, the studies on retina/optic nerve vessels which is one of major factor of glaucoma pathogenesis have been carried out. As a part of these studies, the research performances have been continuously published on the relationship between blood flow and glaucoma through analysis of retina blood vessels in glaucoma patients.
The department of ophthalmology performs studies on diagnosis and treatment of glaucoma for patients' lifestyle and quality of life as well as for clarifying the pathogenesis of glaucoma.
- 1. Kim YY, Jung HR. Clarifying the nonmenclature for primary angle-closure glaucoma. Surv Ophthalmol. 1997;42(2):125-36.
- 2. Kim YY, Lee JH, Ahn MD, Kim CY; Namil Study Group, Korean Glaucoma Society. Angle closure in the Namil study in central South Korea. Arch Ophthalmol. 2012;130(9):1177-83.
- 3. Chang M, Yoo C, Kim SW, Kim YY.Am J Ophthalmol. 2011;151(1):100-105. Retinal vessel diameter, retinal nerve fiber layer thickness, and intraocular pressure in Korean patients with normal-tension glaucoma.
- 4. Lee JY, Yoo C, Kim YY. The effect of lateral decubitus position on intraocular pressure in patients with untreated open-angle glaucoma.. Am J Ophthalmol. 2013;155(2):329-335.
- 5. Lee TE, Yoo C, Kim YY. Effects of different sleeping postures on intraocular pressure and ocular perfusion pressure in healthy young subjects. Ophthalmology. 2013;120(8):1565-70.
Research for oculoplastic
Oculoplastic is one of ophtalmology fields which specializes in surgery of eye and its affiliated organs such like eyelid, orbit and lacrimal apparatus. It treats lachrymal duct diseases, thyroid eye diseases, tumor of eyelid and orbit, orbital wall fracture and trauma, ophthalmic fracture and trauma, artificial eye surgery, benign essential blepharospasm, ptosis and eyelid surgery. Studies on various prognostic factors for increasing the success rate of endoscopic dacryocystorhinostomy and studies on Jons Tube Fixation and the sugery results for increasing the success rate of endoscopic canaliculodacryocystorhinostomy had been performed and reported. Comparative study of pathophysiology of functional and acquired nasolacrimal duct obstruction using lacrimal sac tissues obtained during endoscopic dacryocystorhinostomy has been performed, and a clitical trial for essential blepharospasm has been carried out. It was determined that blepharoptosis depends on ages by age-related eyelid morphology which is base of blepharoplasty. In addition, a study of volume comparison of orbital fracture using 3D CT and various surgery methods to correct enophthalomos has been carried out.
- 1. Evisceration with four anterior relaxing incisions and circumferential posterior sclerotomies with porous polyethylene orbital implants: an 8-year study. Kim KH, Lee H, Park M, Chi Mc, Lee J, Baek S.Acta Ophthalmol. 2011 Nov;89(7):686-90.
- 2. Histopathologic findings of the orbicularis oculi in upper eyelid aging: total or minimal excision of orbicularis oculi in upper blepharoplasty. Lee H, Park M, Lee J, Lee ES, Baek S. Arch Facial Plast Surg. 2012 Jul-Aug;14(4):253-7.
- 3. The effectiveness of simultaneous medial spindle and/or lateral tarsal strip procedure in East Asian patients who need endonasal dacryocystorhinostomy. Lee H, Lee JS, Chang M, Park M, Baek S.Graefes Arch Clin Exp Ophthalmol. 2013 Dec;251(12):2789-96
- 4. Analysis of lid contour change with aging in Asians by measuring midpupil lid distance.Lee H, Lee JS, Chang M, Park M, Baek S.Plast Reconstr Surg. 2014 Oct;134(4):521e-9e.
- 5. The clinical effectiveness of transcanalicular diode laser-assisted revision surgery for failed endoscopic endonasal dacryocystorhinostomy. Lee J, Choi SY, Lee H, Chang M, Park M, Baek S.Br J Ophthalmol. 2015 Mar 12.
Research of strabismus, pediatric
The Strabismus, pediatric field of the department of ophthalmology in Korea University recently reported an analysis for operative and post-operative factors concerned in recurrence after an poeration in strabismus patients. In addition, it classified into infantile exotropia and early intermittent exotropia by a recent study for exotropia occurred in babies under 1 year. These objective grounds were reported to apply to clinical trials for treatment of exotropia as well. Recent, a study for visual performance of strabismus, pediatric patients was carried out using 3DTV images, and a cooperative study for visual performance of normal pediatric with HMD(Head-Mounted Display) was reported. In 2015, a prospective study supervised by Chungnam Office of Education is going to be performed as entrusted by the Korean Ophthalomological Society. The study will evaluate myopia progression, improving or failing eye sight as targeting schools having difference of illumination intensity by measuring the illumination intensity of blackboards and classrooms. The result will be reported in the end of 2015. Besides, various studies are planned to perform for amblyopia, congenital eye diseases and eye nerve diseases.
- 1. Chang M, Kim SH, Yoo EJ, Nam KT, Cho YA. Change in the location of the equator and recessed muscles in young rabbit eyes. Graefes Arch Clin Exp Ophthalmol 2013;251:2047-50.
- 2. Choi YM, Kim SH. Comparison of clinical features between two different types of exotropia before 12 months of age based on stereopsis outcome. Ophthalmology 2013;120:3-7.
- 3. Cho YA, Kim SH. Postoperative minimal overcorrection in the surgical management of intermittent exotropia. Br J Ophthalmol 2013;97:866-9.
- 4. Kim SH, Suh YW, Yun C, Yoo EJ, Yeom JH, Cho YA. Influence of stereopsis and abnormal binocular vision on ocular and systemic discomfort while watching 3D television. Eye (Lond) 2013;27:1243-8.
- 5. Suh YW, Oh J, Kim HM, Cho YA, Song JS. Three-dimensional display-induced transient myopia and the difference in myopic shift between crossed and uncrossed disparities. Investigative ophthalmology & visual science 2012;53(8):5029-32.
Clinical trials and fundamental researches of each specializing field in ophthalmology have been performed, and a large of studies have been published in renowned society and journals. The annual symposium has been held with interesting subjects, and we are seeking the dissemination and exchange of new knowledge in clinical and fundamental research by inviting prominent scholars.
The department of ophthalmology in Korea University held a symposium once a year, and celebrated its 19th anniversary in 2015. It has instruction course for first-year medical residents and department workshop. It has more than 180 alumni and 87 adjunct professors. And it has held the alumni picnic, year-end party and conference inviting alumni to strengthen relationship.